Is the Norwex Rubber Broom an actual useful tool? What exactly is it for? I’m going to break down this cool new tool for you so you can discover that this is the tool you’ve been looking for (and didn’t even know it)!
How It All Began
The Rubber Broom was actually inspired by another Norwex product: The Rubber Brush. The brush has been a staple product that many people purchase to use with the dry pad of their Superior Mop System. The Rubber Brush is always so great to brush away the hair and dust that accumulates on the dry pad. People also love it for wiping pet hair from furniture, car seats and rugs. The only problem with the Rubber Brush is that if you wanted to clean things like rugs, you had to get on your hands and knees to use it. Let’s face it: the older we get, the harder that is to do! So, it just made sense for Norwex to offer a larger version of the rubber broom, with a long, extendable handle!
How it Works
Electrostatic action helps it grab onto dust and hair, instead of just pushing it around or sending it flying, but holds them within the bristles. As debris accumulates, it will be pushed up further into the bristles, allowing you to continue cleaning.
- The Rubber Broom is longer in length than the Rubber Brush, with additional soft bristles.
- You can also see from the above photo that it has a squeegee added to it (*love!*)
- It has a handle, that extends longer if needed!
What to Use This Tool For
- Removing pet hair from low-pile and high-pile rugs and furniture
- Removing pet hair from carpeted stairs
- Gathering wet spills
- Squeegy-ing water from a deck
- Removing snow from your car
- Scrubbing siding, car mats, and other surfaces clean, with some soapy water
- Removing debris from the patio, like leaves and grass clippings (this is way easier to clean than a broom, which is why this is ideal!)
- Fluffing carpet
How To Use
To clean pet hair from a surface, simply pull the broom across the surface, towards you. Hair will collect within the rubber as you pull. When you’re done, use your fingers to gather excess hair and throw away. Then, rinse the broom to get rid of smaller hairs. You can untwist the broom head to put right into the sink if need be.
To clean wet spills, or puddled water, flip your broom to the squeegee side. Pull the squeeze across the flat surface, towards you, to gather or push the wet spill away.
If you want to adjust the handle, lift the latch the unlock it. Adjust handle to desired height, then push the latch down to lock handle in place.
*Note: always pull this brush towards you. Do not push away from you, as it cannot handle the strain, and the connecting end of your handle will begin to crack.
Here’s what I’m loving about this Rubber Broom
- You can use it wet or dry
- It cleans so easily. Simply rinse under running water and it’s clean! If need be, you can unscrew the brush from the handle and swish around in soapy water to get rid of really small particles
- The handle is adjustable. That means less bending, and easier reaching far away places!
- It’s a dream on low pile AND high pile rugs. Even with vacuuming, there are some rugs that still have stuck on hair. This works like a charm on those tricky rugs! The bonus is that you don’t have to get on your hands and knees to do it, thanks to the extendable handle!
What I’m not Loving
I will confess that this isn’t a perfect product. As I’ve used it, I’ve discovered two things:
- This isn’t as sturdy of a product as I was hoping. The handle and the base do come apart, which is helpful for cleaning. However, the end of the handle has a a screw-end made of a thin plastic. I’ve discovered that this plastic isn’t very sturdy, and when force is put on it, it begins to crack, breaking the end of the handle over time. You can avoid this flaw by only pulling, and not pushing. As I discovered though, enthusiastic kids don’t quite understand this idea. You also wouldn’t use it to push or even pull on heavy things, such as really heavy snow The reassuring part of this product flaw is that the product does come with a one-year warranty. So, when the end of the handle of my Rubber Broom broke off, Norwex quickly sent me a replacement. That’s one thing I really love about Norwex; they have really phenomenal customer service!
- It’s only ‘okay’ as a squeegee. It’s not as impressive when using it to push liquid with the squeegee side. The squeegee part of the broom isn’t super rigid, so some liquid escapes. I would like it better for this function if it was a more rigid flat side.
I rate this product 4 out of 5 stars. This product works so well on upholstery, car seats, and carpets to remove pet hair. Since the squeegee side of the broom doesn’t have optimal performance, and there is potential for a part of this product to break easily, I would remove a star for those flaws.
If you’re looking for just a squeegee, this isn’t the best choice for you. But if you’re looking for a product to help you remove animal hair from upholstered and carpeted areas of your home, this is a great choice for you, with the added bonus of a squeegee for wet jobs!
If you’re looking to remove pet hair from surfaces in your home, head to my shop to get your own adjustable Rubber Broom!