Today’s spring cleaning post tackles one of the most daunting tasks in any cleaning routine: the bathroom. Cleaning the bathroom can take hours, and popular chemical cleaners can leave even the toughest of the crowd with a nap-inducing headache. Rather than going for harsh chemical cleaners, give your bathroom a deep clean with some of my favourite Norwex products.
Here is a handy list of what to clean in your bathroom and what products will most effectively do the job.
Shower and bath
- Remove all the shampoo, conditioner, & body wash containers, razors & body puffs. Wipe all of the containers down with a damp Norwex Enviro cloth, replaced dull razor blades, and throw the puffs/body mitts into the washing machine with a load of towels.
- Spray down the shower door or curtain as well as the bathtub, fixtures, and shower walls with the Descaler. Let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe it clean with a wet Enviro Cloth or Bathroom Scrub Mitt.
- For extra stubborn spots, use a dab of Norwex Cleaning Paste and the scrubby side of the Bathroom Scrub Mitt.
- If you have a WATER JET TUB, you may need to clean it. This is the one job that just Norwex isn’t going to cut it… I use bleach as well. Please don’t judge me. Gross, black gunk will accumulate in your bathtub water jet lines, and so these lines need to be cleaned out every once in a while (once a year if you hardly use the jets, but more often if you frequently indulge in jet baths). Fill you bathtub with HOT water so that the jets are fully submerged. Dissolve 2-3 scoops of the Norwex DISHWASHER Detergent to the water. Yes, you heard me right. Dishwasher detergent is low sudsing, and is designed to “eat” the food and gunk from your dishes… it does the same thing in your bathtub jet lines, without causing bubbles to overflow your bathtub! Turn the jets on, and let them rub for about 20 minutes. Drain the disgusting water from your tub, rinse well, and fill again with hot water. If you want to, and 2 cups of bleach. Run the jets again for another 20 minutes. The bleach will help to kill any mold that may be in the jet lines. If you don’t use the bleach, you’re done. If you DO use bleach, then you will have to do one final flush of the jet lines with clean, cool water.
- Drain the toilet TANK (not the bowl), spray it down with the Norwex Descaler, let it sit for 5 minutes, and scrub it clean with a Spirisponge. Wipe it clean with a wet Enviro Cloth.
- Clean the bowl with a squirt of Bathroom Cleaner and the Ergonomic Toilet Brush. Let it sit for 10 minutes, give it another scrub, and flush the bowl. If you have hard water build up in the toilet bowl itself, pour a bucket of water in, to get rid of the water in the bowl, and squirt Norwex Descaler under the rim and on any stained areas. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then uses a Spirisponge or Spirinett (use gently!) to scrub away the stains.
- Remove all items from the counter and wipe it down with a wet Enviro Cloth. Wipe down soap dispensers and Kleenex holders, and other counter items with a dry Dusting Mitt.
- Get rid of build-up in the sink by scrubbing it with a dab of Cleaning Paste and a wet Enviro Cloth. Clean shiny fixtures by spraying them with Descaler, letting it sit for 5 minutes, and wiping clean with a wet Enviro Cloth. Follow up with a dry Window Cloth.
- Remove all clothing and wipe down the inside, outside and bottom with a wet Enviro Cloth.
- Sweep it clean with the yellow Dry Superior Mop Pad, and mop it with the blue Wet Mop Pad. For stubborn spots or build-up in the corners, use the Cleaning Paste and a Spirisponge to get rid of the gunk.
Cupboards, drawers, shelves
- Take everything out and wipe down each surface with a wet Enviro Cloth. Recycle or donate old soaps, lotions, and other products that have never been used or no longer serve a regular purpose for you.
- Get rid of all medications that are expired or no longer needed. Most pharmacies will take them from you for free to make sure they are disposed of properly.
- Recycle all toxic cleaners that pose a danger to you, your children, and your pets. In most bathroom cleaning cupboards, the majority of items can be replaced by either a wet Enviro Cloth or the Descaler! Keep a stack of Enviro Cloths under the sink so you’re ready to clean in a pinch.