When Norwex released new products this fall, I was WoWED by the photos of the double sided-mop. I’ve stated before that my Norwex Mop is my BFF – I absolutely love it and don’t think I could live without it! So, what could be better than a 2-in-1 mop that quickly flips between dry and wet? My Norwex Mop makes mopping way quicker, so I was extremely hopeful that the Norwex double sided mop might make the process EVEN faster!
What it is and how it works
The new Norwex double sided mop is a mop base that clicks into your existing telescopic mop handle; no fancy upgrade needed if you already own the Norwex mop. You will, however need to purchase the double sided mop base, and the double sided dry and wet mop pads. You can also purchase a Double Sided Mop Kit which includes the handle, the mop base, & two mop-heads: a Superior Dry mop pad (in pink) and a Wet mop pad (in grey).
The Norwex double sided mop base is designed differently, in that it has a wide notch on one side to accommodate the swivel portion of the mop head. The mop pads stick on the mop base just as quick as the ‘originals’ do. The idea is that you go around the room with the dry mop, then lift the mop, do a quick tap with your foot to flip to the wet side, immediately going over the floor again to wet mop it.
Here’s the mop in action:
The Low Down on the Norwex Double Sided Mop
I’ve run into a few problems with this mop that are not major, but have lead me to not love or prefer it over the original Norwex mop. Here’s why:
- When dry mopping, large dust accumulates on the pad. Sure, that’s good for cleaning, but when you want to flip to the wet mop, large dust bunnies start falling off eventually, making your floor dirty again. This can, of course, be eliminated by using your Norwex brush to clean off the dry mop pad. In my opinion, this is just the same as taking the time to switch to the wet pad; it doesn’t actually eliminate any steps. If you’re just mopping one or a few rooms in your house though – the double sided mop DOES in fact make the job a quickie. The only problem I anticipate with this though, is * dun dun dunn* PET HAIR. Dog and cat hair accumulates pretty fast, which makes it harder to do more than one room with your double sided mop.
- Another problem I’ve had with this mop is that it doesn’t quite fit into my telescopic pole as easily as my original. I don’t know if I’m the only one who has experienced this problem. The result is that it squeaks and well, that’s annoying.
- Thirdly, while this mop has the ability to swivel, it does not move as fluidly as the original. It’s just slightly bulkier and I not as easy to navigate around furniture.
- And finally, I don’t love the wet-mop pad that comes with this product (which is exactly the same as the original blue wet mop pad). I pretty much exclusively use my tile mop pad for all wet mopping, on all floors. I absolutely love this thing and find it tackles sticky spots much better than the standard wet mop pad. The double-sided mop does not come with, nor can you purchase, a tile mop pad for the double-sided mop base. I’ve tried to stick my tile mop pad on the double sided base, but nope, it just won’t stay on. The unique design of this mop inhibits the ability to use the tile mop pad, since it needs a notched out area for fit that ensures the pad stays on.
While this mop did not wow me in the end, I can see some people really loving it.
- The Norwex double-sided mop would be wonderful for those people who have shiny hardwood floors that accumulate a lot of dust and footprints quickly. This would be a very handy mop to use on a regular basis… more than once a week. The dry mop pad that comes with this system is the same as the Superior map pad which truly is superior and is a great dry duster.
- If you are single, don’t have kids or pets, or are retired, you would likely prefer this mop. Since my kids (and the kids & pets of those I clean for) increase the dirt accumulation on the floor, I always have the ‘too many dust bunnies and crumbs’ issue. If your floors are not subjected to massive amounts of abuse, this is the mop for you!
- Lastly, if you are one of those people who are always on top of your cleaning (or maybe a little or a lot OCD), and you sweep/mop your floor daily, this is THE mop for you. I simply do not fall into that category (I am maybe a little or a lot lazy).
If you’re deciding on whether or not to purchase the double-sided mop vs. the original, I would nudge you toward the original, since it’s a more versatile mop. But, if you know you’ll be using it every day or every other day for good maintenance of your floors, go for the double-sided!
Giving this product a star-rating is tricky, as I feel it is very subjective. It’s a good product, but for my personal uses, it’s not what I would choose. I know that others would love this thing!
So, I’ll let you know that my personal rating is a 3, but I’d like to hear from those who give it a higher rating and why. Please comment below!
If you’ve found this info interesting or helpful, please share it with your friends!