Are you a regular visitor of the library in your community?
What I love about this free resource is that it will SAVE you MONEY! Every time you want a stack of books in your house, no need to go out to bookstores and spend, spend, spend! Save money, and just get a stack from the library! Have a magazine addiction? Save money and go read the latest issue at the library! Kids want the next book in the hottest series going? Save money and get it at the library instead!
Everybody wants books for down time, or education, and the easiest way to always have a book on the go is by getting it from your local library.
Wish your kids had stacks of books at home to read, look at pictures, mull over (and keep them quiet)? Get ‘em at the library!
You can take out tons of books on a 2-3 week rotation. When your three weeks are up, you can either renew them to keep them, or head back for more, for a stack of fresh, new and exciting books (to keep the kids literate, sure, but mainly, to keep them OCCUPIED).
Can we just step aside here for a moment and think about this: If your kids are always surrounded by books, they WILL become readers. It’s a fact.
The more you read to them, the better their literacy. And if you’re tired of reading the same old, same old, you won’t want to read to them anymore. So, If YOU are surrounded by a variety of kids books, YOU will be more interested in reading books to your kids.
Funny Book recommendation for young kids:
ANYTHING by Mo Willems. He. is. the best!
Worried you’d never remember to take them back in time, and end up paying overdue fees?
Here’s a tip: Have a designated shelf, bag, or basket for library books. All library books go there as soon as they’re brought home, and stay there when they’re not being read. Make a rule that only one library book can go to their bedrooms, then you’re not wondering where they all are! Want to know the easiest way to implement this system, so it works every time? Go to the library non-stop! If you ALWAYS have library books in the house, everybody is used to keeping the library books in the designated spot. It’s just…a thing, at your house!
Kids feeling bored? Antsy? Raining outside?
Don’t go out and spend money shopping, or paying for entertainment, save money and go hang at the library instead! Libraries have things like: computers, colouring tables, toys, comfy chairs, quiet study rooms, beautiful art on display, and programs!
Programs for kids like: story time, puppet time, baby songs, lego clubs.
Programs for the adults like: author readings, knitting clubs, puzzles, book clubs.
All you have to do is visit your libraries’ website, or drop in, to get a schedule of their events!
Here’s Are My Favourite Features:
- You can borrow your items for a number of weeks
- You can renew them and keep them for longer if you’re not done
- They have more than just books to borrow. They have things like CD’s, DVD’s, Books on CD or MP3 players, puzzles, cake pans, appliance energy readers – you’d be AMAZED at what you can borrow from libraries!
Some libraries have fantastic ONLINE resources.
- Personal online accounts that allow you to renew your books online, instead of going to the library to get it done.
- The ability to search their online catalogue from home.
- The ability to place a hold on the book you want, that is currently checked out by another patron. Some libraries will even keep waiting lists for the really popular books!
- Email reminders for when your books are due.
- And the most exciting resource: a lot of libraries allow you to borrow electronic books, that you download and read on your Kindle, Tablet or Phone. They expire automatically after a certain number of weeks, so no overdue fines!
Every library is different, so ask the librarian next time you’re in, to explain to you what is available online through their library.
Why always buy what you’re looking for, when you can simply save money and borrow it from your libary?
If you currently NEVER go to the library – Please ; GET there and just SOAK in the beauty of all the free resources right at your fingertips, and the ability to be in a QUIET SPACE.
And next time you need to ‘get away’ for a sanity break, I highly recommend hanging out there all by yourself. It’s seriously the BEST!!!!
What feature of YOUR library do you love that I missed?And please, share your favourite books or series, for kids, teens or adults, in the comments below, that you think other blog visitors would LOVE!