I’ve been trying the Norwex Blue Diamond Cleaner out on multiple surfaces, in multiple homes, and I give it a hearty 5 stars. This is a green product that actually works, saves you money, and leaves your tub sparkly! Once you star using Blue Diamond Cleaner, you’ll never want to go back!
Here’s the low down on this product.
- The Norwex Blue Diamond Cleaner is an all-in-one bathroom cleaner. It’s a gel, not a spray, which can be used straight from the bottle, undiluted, OR diluted in a spray bottle (9 parts water : 1 part Blue Diamond Cleaner).
- INGREDIENTS – Ethoxylated Lauryl Alcohol, Sodium Dodecylbenzene sulfonate (surfactant), Citric Acid.
- The Blue Diamond Cleaner is DESCALING – which means it has ingredients (organic salts rather than strong corrosive acids) to “eat” and remove hard water build-up such as rust, calcium, and limescale as well as urine salts (did you know there was such a thing?).
- It also contains SURFACTANTS to help it better remove soap scum, grease, oil, dirt, and stains. Another function of surfactants is to aid in the rinsing process, to remove the product and the yuck from whatever surface you’re cleaning.
- It has natural CHELATING ingredients in it. “What are those?” you ask? Chelators or chelating agents are a special type of organic complexing agents that inactivate water hardness (Ca-salts, Mg-salts) and other metallic ions in water. Basically, it makes hard water softer. In the case of the Norwex Blue Diamond Cleaner, the chelating agent is non-toxic, citric acid. By reducing the hardness of the water with a chelating agent, the other detergent ingredients (surfactants) are better able to clean, and you only have to use a small amount.
- Blue Diamond Cleaner is safe for septic systems.
Does NOT contain APE (alkylphenol ethoxylates) which mimics estrogen and has reproductive effects on aquatic organisms.
- Contains NO phosphates.
- Blue Diamond has no corrosive fumes or dangerous hydrochloric, or phosphoric acid. Now, I still like to use rubber gloves when I use this product. I have “delicate” hands that are prone to unpleasant reactions to even the most gentle of hand soaps, so even though the acids in the Norwex Blue Diamond cleaner are non-corrosive, gloves are a must. I would recommend glove wearing to other members of the “delicate hand” club as well!
- Norwex Blue Diamond Cleaner is fragrance free. This does not mean, however, that the product has absolutely no smell, it does have a faint odor. “Fragrance free” means that the product doesn’t have artificial perfume or fragrance.
Where and How to Use the Norwex Blue Diamond Cleaner
The Blue Diamond Cleaner is most often used for bathrooms… in your home, cottage, RV, trailer, or boat! It’s great for:
- Toilets – great for that build up under the rim and hard water rings inside the bowl.
- sinks, faucets, & vanities
- Bathtubs (both tiled and tub surround units)
- Shower & Shower Doors… amazing for glass shower doors that are covered in hard water spots!
- NOTE: It’s NOT recommended for natural stone surfaces, such as marble or granite. As well, use caution when using it on “brushed” metal – most often that brushed look is created by a special coating on the stainless steel, and the acids in the Blue Diamond Cleaner may eat away at it.
Norwex has created a toilet brush that works well with the Blue Diamond cleaner. It is a great product for your toilet because you don’t need very much cleaner in the bowl. What is best though is that it doesn’t have an overpowering smell. I’ve always disliked the strong stink that toilet bowl cleaners have, but figured I was stuck-for-life with it. *Sigh* Finally. Sweet relief!
How to Use it in your Toilet
- DEEP CLEANING – Does you toilet have built up “crusties” under the rim and a brown rust ring at the water level? Yes? Well then, the Norwex Blue Diamond Cleaner is for you! First, empty as much water out of the toilet bowl as possible by poring a bucket of water into the bowl. Squirt a stream of Blue Diamond Cleaner under the rim of the bowl, and let it run down to coat the ugly rust ring. Let it sit for at least 10-15 min. Using the Norwex Spirinetts, GENTLY & LIGHTLY start to scrub the rust ring and any accumulated rust under the rim. NOTE: Don’t scrub too hard as you don’t want to scratch the porcelain. If it’s really bad, you may have to do this process a couple of times. And voila, your toilet will be white again!
- ROUTINE/WEEKLY CLEANING – Just add a few drops to your toilet brush (the Ergonomic Norwex Brush works great), and swish it around your toilet like you normally would. You can let it sit in the bowl for awhile for further descaling, if you need to.
SHOWER & BATHTUBS
The Blue Diamond cleaner really shines when used in showers and tubs. It essentially reduces the amount of work you do and makes things REALLY shiny. Sometimes, I go back into the bathroom to admire my handiwork (I know you do it too) and imagine there is an actual sparkle that makes that ‘magic shimmer sound’ when I walk in. Like this sound:
How to Use it in your Showers & Tubs
- DILUTED – Like I mentioned previously, the Norwex Blue Diamond Cleaner is a gel, but it can be diluted in water and put in a spray bottle (using a 9:1 ratio of water:Blue Diamond – you can use a stronger concentration of the Blue Diamond if you have really hard water and find the 9:1 isn’t strong enough). Simply spray the diluted Blue Diamond Cleaner on all the dirty surfaces, make sure you don’t miss any spots, and then let it sit for about 10 min. You’re not supposed to let it dry on your shower walls, but if you get distracted by a good book or a nap, and you don’t end up coming back for 30-50 min, you can just wet you walls, and all will be fine. Then, take a wet Norwex Enviro Cloth or (even better) the Norwex Bathroom Scrub Mitt, and scrub away the dirt and cleaner. Rinse and you’re done.
- UNDILUTED – Wet the walls of your shower and tub, add a few drops to the scrubby side of the bathroom scrub mitt or Enviro cloth, and clean away. This method is best if you’re in maintenance mode, and there’s not weeks worth of hard water build up. If you’ve neglected your cleaning routine for a while, you would need to use more than a few drops, and let it sit for 10 or so minutes before scrubbing it. I love the below story of another Blue Diamond user who cleans her shower while she’s TAKING A SHOWER! I don’t personally do this, but I think I might try it out soon 🙂
“I love how easy it to clean with this product! When I’m waiting for my hair conditioner to condition my hair, I take the bathroom scrub mitt I have hanging in the shower, and the Blue Diamond cleaner sitting in the corner; I add a few drops of the cleaner to the scrubby side of the mitt, and I quickly wash the walls of the tub. Then I put the mitt on my foot, and scrub the bottom of the tub. It’s fast, easy, and because the Blue Diamond cleaner is totally non-toxic, I’m not worried about using it while I’m taking a shower!”
Canadian consultant Crystal Moore used to clean houses part-time, and at one clients’ home, had two showers, both with glass doors, that had impossible-to-remove spots on them. Before trying Blue Diamond Cleaner, she had tried: the Norwex Kitchen Scrubby Cloth, baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, Windex, and even a few salty tears. She then tried the Norwex Descaler. This worked better than anything she’d tried beforehand. However, there were still some scaly spots left on the glass doors and the handle of the two showers. She was still unsatisfied, and tried the Blue Diamond cleaner next. When she used the Blue Diamond cleaner, it removed even more spots. Those glass doors actually became spotless! When she returned two weeks later to clean those same shower doors again, she was surprised to see that there wasn’t very much build up on them, since every other time, there always was! She then continued using the Blue Diamond on these shower doors and they maintained a clean look much longer, as well as less labour involved.
The bonus of this product is that you don’t need much of this concentrated product, so you don’t need to be apprehensive about its small size and this product is TOTALLY worth the price tag. *Exits stage right. Cue magical sound effect.*
I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts on this Norwex product… I’d especially like to hear from those of you who have used both the Norwex Descaler and the Blue Diamond cleaner – which product do you like best and why?
Oh, and if you’ve found this information helpful, please share it with your friends!