I realize that calling any chocolate chip cookie “the best” is completely subjective – my definition of the best cookie might be different from yours. But for our family, the best chocolate chip cookie has crispy, buttery edges, soft, chewy centers, and the perfect cookie flavor in every bite.
They also need to be easy to make in a pinch, so no chilling required and no weird, obscure ingredients.
Oh, and one more thing. SKOR Chocolate Bars or Bites.
This was a spontaneous addition to a batch I made one day because I had some on hand, and now I always keep a few bags of SKOR Bites or SKOR bars in my pantry to add when I make them. This ingredient is entirely optional but adding them elevates these cookies to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Whether you add the SKOR chunks or not, these cookies will become your go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, and ALL your friends will ask you for the recipe!
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the softened butter and sugars together until fluffy and lightened in color. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing on low until well combined, then increasing to medium-high for about a minute, until fluffy and aerated.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. For the flour, I HIGHLY recommend measuring it by weight, if you have a kitchen scale. If you don’t have a scale, spoon the flour into the 1-cup measure then use a butter knife to scrape off the excess flour – this process is called “spooned and levelled”.
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, then beat on low speed until combined. On low speed, mix in the chocolate chips.
If you’re adding SKOR chunks, chop them up and stir them into the dough.
The key is to cut them into large-ish pieces, about 1-inch – not huge, but not so tiny that they disappear into the cookies. I’ve tried making them with SKOR Bits (just the toffee and teeny tiny), and they dissolved into the batter when the cookies were baking rather than staying delicious morsels of toffee goodness.
If you have a cookie scoop, it will make the perfect sized and shaped cookies. My cookie scoop broke so I weigh each cookie. They should be between 50-52 grams.
Sometimes I like to stick a piece of SKOR into the top of the cookies, just to add more SKOR yumminess.
Bake them at 375° for 9-10 minutes. They may look slightly underdone, but this is perfect – they will cool into a perfectly delicious cookie. As soon as you remove them from the oven, bang the cookie sheet onto the cooling rack a few times. This deflates the cookies and helps to produce a soft, chewy middle. This step is optional, but trust me, you want to do it.
Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then remove them to a cooling rack until they’re fully cooled. Although they may not last that long – my kids devour these before I can get them into the cookie jar!
They are irresistible when the chocolate chips are slightly warm and gooey. And those SKOR chunks covered in milk chocolate… drool.
These chocolate chip cookies are no-fail, SO easy to make, the dough doesn’t require chilling, AND they are perfectly delicious. Make them and enjoy!
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup (227g or 2 sticks) salted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) white sugar
- 1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups (480g) all purpose flour spooned and levelled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1½-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2-3 SKOR bars, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat your oven to 375° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer, or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar together on medium-high speed until combined and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing on low until well combined, then increasing to medium-high for about 30 seconds, until fluffy and aerated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then beat on low speed until combined.
- On low speed, beat in the chocolate chips and SKOR pieces. Mix the dough by hand with a spoon a few times to make sure it is fully incorporated and there aren't any dry bits at the bottom of the bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop if you have one , scoop the dough onto your prepared baking sheets, 2-inches apart. If you don't have a cookie scoop, I recommend weighing your cookies – 50-52 grams each, or about 1½Tbsp per cookie
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until sides *slightly* begin to brown. I took mine out of the oven at exactly 10 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a wire rack.