The cloth that started it all, the Norwex EnviroCloth®.
In 1994, a friend introduced Norwex Founder Bjørn Nicolaisen to some miraculous microfiber cloths that effectively cleaned his dirty windshield using only microfiber and water. He was so amazed that he decided to make it his life’s goal to get these clothes into as many homes as possible. I’m so glad he did.
The Norwex EnviroCloth is HANDS DOWN, my favorite Norwex product, and probably the most used Norwex product in our house.
If I were to rate this on a scale of 1-10, this handy little cloth would be a 100! I can’t adequately say how much I love it. If I had to choose just one Norwex product to use for the rest of my life, I would choose the EnviroCloth without hesitation.
This cloth cleans EVERYTHING in my house and has replaced all of the chemical cleaners I used to use ~ Every home should have one (well, probably more than one)! Here are some of the reasons why I love it so much:
1. The Norwex EnviroCloth GRABS & REMOVES dirt, soap scum and general grungies like nothing I’ve used before.
This is because the cloth is made of high-grade microfiber ~ each strand is a mere 1/200th the size of a human hair. Translated, this means that the Norwex microfiber cloth has a HUGE amount of surface area, grabbing the dirt from whatever you’re wiping, making it great for dry dusting and wet cleaning. One of my favorite uses for the Enviro Cloth is in my bathroom ~ the sink, bathtub and tub surround. Gone are those nasty chemical cleaners! This cloth cleans the ring-around-the-tub, soapy water spots on the tub walls, toothpaste spatter, hard water spots, and general grossness found in bathrooms, using minimal elbow grease. It leaves everything streak-free and eliminates the chemical residue other cleaners leave behind.
2. Densely woven, superfine Norwex Microfiber physically removes up to 99% of bacteria from a surface using only water when following the proper care and use instructions!
Norwex Microfiber picks up and holds onto the dirt and anything else on your surface, safely eliminating it from your house without using harmful chemicals. When you follow the proper care and use instructions, the densely woven, superfine Norwex Microfiber physically removes up to 99% of bacteria from a surface using only water. As I mentioned, I have stopped using chemical cleaners thanks to this amazing cloth because I don’t need them to clean things; the EnvirCloth takes care of it all.
Cleaning with cotton cloths, other natural fibers, and sponges is like trying to clean with a BEACH BALL – it just pushes the dirt around rather than picking it up and removing it.
Using Norwex® microfiber is like using a SHOVEL rather than a ball to pick up dirt, grease, and dust. Norwex® Microfiber can remove up to 99% of bacteria from a surface when following the proper care and use instructions.
3. The Norwex EnviroCloth is “self-purifying.”
The Norwex EnviroCloth® contains BacLock™. BacLock is an antimicrobial agent solely intended to protect and self-clean the cloth by inhibiting the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew. One of the significant benefits of BacLock™ is that your cloth will resist that all too familiar, yucky smell!
4. The Norwex EnviroCloth® actually cleans better and faster. Period.
In my attempt to “go greener” in our home, I have tried other green cleaners, including the homemade ones using baking soda and vinegar. I am embarrassed to say that I always reverted to my bad habit of using toxic cleaners. The reason? I just didn’t find that the green methods cleaned as well.
Then my friend gave me the gift of a Norwex EnviroCloth®, and I skeptically started trying it in all the different rooms of my house. In all honesty, I was amazed. In every way, this little cloth surpassed my expectations.
Not only did it clean better, but to my great surprise, my house stayed clean longer. Chemical cleaners leave a sticky residue where they’ve cleaned. When dirt settles on this sticky residue, it essentially gets “glued” down, making cleaning more challenging. So, when I eliminated the chemicals, I also eliminated sticky chemical residue, which resulted in surfaces that no longer attracted dirt or encouraged the dirt to stick, which led to less cleaning and faster cleaning.
I have had many people ask me how the Norwex Microfiber cloth differs from the microfiber you can buy at the dollar store.
I explain to them that there are two major differences.
- Norwex microfiber is a MUCH higher quality microfiber than what you would find at any retail store. Each Norwex microfiber splits upwards of 200 times per thread (for superior ‘grabbing’ power). On the other hand, the store variety of microfiber thread splits as few as six times per thread. A dollar store microfiber cloth’s cleaning power significantly diminishes after a few washes. In contrast, Norwex microfiber cloths will last seven years or longer. Even after 500 washes, studies have found that an Enviro cloth is still just as effective at removing EVERYTHING from the surface being wiped as when it was brand new!
- Unlike the dollar store variety, which you can not put in the dryer after laundering, you can and should dry Norwex microfiber in the dryer, and the hotter the setting, the better! It may not seem like such a big deal until you try fishing them out of your wet laundry; it’s a hassle!
How To Use Your Norwex EnviroCloth®
Use it WET – Wet the cloth and wring out the excess water. Again, fold the cloth into quarters. Wipe the dirty surface, keeping the cloth flat against the surface rather than “bunching” up the cloth when wiping. The flat allows for maximum surface area contact, which means maximum cleaning. For spot removal, spray water on the dirty surface and then wipe with a damp EnviroCloth. When one side of the cloth gets dirty, simply flip the cloth over and use the other side, then unfold and use another quarter of the cloth, and so on, until all parts of the cloth have been used. Then, just rinse the cloth under warm/hot running water while rubbing the cloth against itself to release the dirt. Wring it out, and start again!
Use it DRY – Simply fold into quarters and wipe dusty surfaces. When finished, take the cloth and shake it outside to release the dust.
I encourage you to test this cloth! It continues to amaze me with its cleaning abilities! It will remove old stains from your carpets, take smells from the rim of your toilet (yuck), wipe grease and stuck on “stuff” from kitchen surfaces, and get soap scum and hard water scales off your bathtub and shower.
Oh, and if you want truly streak-free mirrors and windows, use a wet (and wrung-out) EnviroCloth to clean them, then dry them with your dry Window Cloth. You will NOT believe how clean and streak-free it will be!
Over the years, Norwex has developed a number of cleaning products that can be used with your EnviroCloth to help speed up your cleaning even more! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Descaler – removes soap scum, limescale, calcium and rust deposits
- Cleaning Paste – lovingly referred to as “elbow grease in a jar”. Cleans, protects, and polishes – all in one application. This is one of EnviroCloth’s best friends.
- Bathroom Cleaner – all-purpose bathroom cleaner provides deep cleaning without any strong fumes or corrosive ingredients. It also descales and eliminates sources of odors.